There is a wedding in my house in the coming few days. I have seen my family run here and there to save up the money to spend for the wedding. Everyone is looking into the minutest of minutest details and figuring out the money, people etc. My aunt, the mother of the groom has a pen on her ear from morning to evening to jot down names of people she has forgotten to invite! My uncle carries a huge black bag to carry the money for the expense of the wedding that he is afraid might get stolen if he keeps it at home! I mean why this hullabulla? Isn’t the family supposed to be at peace when a wedding is fixed! No wonder, event managers and wedding planners are multiplying!
Here are a couple of points that I have jotted during weddings:
- Exorbitant rates of Marriage halls running into time cost in lakhs ( I have plans of investing in one looking at the number of halls available in the city)
- Decorations all over the place leaving no wall at home go unnoticed
- And if you are from the South of the continent, god help you with the GOLD!
- Expensive clothes that takes up half the time for making wedding arrangements. Sarees for all occasions for all “close” relatives and shirts for their better halves as well!
- Foot wear of brides having sparkling gold plated accessories costing more than 10k( YOu cannot even wear it outside once the day is over)
- Gifts of acknowledgements for members attending the occassion!
- Food!! Night before the wedding is oNLY meant to eat,eat and drink! This is one event that teaches us national integrity because you will have dishes from different parts of the country!
- Number of dishes directly proportional to the number of dustbins to carry wastages — Not referring to used plates , used dishes getting wasted.
- To top everything, there are relatives that come only to stay at a hotel. To match the status of the family, accomodation has to be arrabged at the best hotel in town. So relatives get an excuse to come for the wedding and stay in a nice hotel, free of cost! I have seen a relative stay at the hotel and not attend the wedding! Stay for free, food for free, what wedding??Come on people, get a life!!
Just for that day, should the spend go beyond the wallet ?should investments be diluted ?should to-be -more appreciated lands be sold ?should loans join in to be a perennial family member? and should finally should the family liability sheet need to increase ?
For people who need not do any of the above actions , should there still be arequirement of expensive wedddings ?
Cannot the money be spent in a more useful manner ? No I am not philanthropic but neither do I believe in spending money for the wrong reasons.
Now if you ask me, wouldn’t my wedding be the same way? That’s a post for tomorrow..